Pages

Thursday, July 14, 2011

what's up in our neck of the woods

We'll rewind just a bit.  A couple weeks ago little man had his 18 month check up.  Who doesn't love the waiting room wait.  After breaking a sweat chasing my kid around, pulling him off not only the table but also strangers laps, we made it back to the second waiting room, where the nurse grilled me.

She didn't really grill me, actually we had a bonding moment, it was great.  Anyway so she went through her list of questions as we were cutting up with each other and made her way to the dreaded question "7-20 words?".  My reply was "on the low side of that".  She asked if I was worried, I wasn't...until I left the appointment.  I told her he stayed home with me and wasn't around a whole lot of other kids (something we were planning on changing prior to the appointment by the way).

Then the actual doctor comes in and we begin discussing Cohen's speech...or lack there of.  He seems concerned, very concerned, well much more concerned than I was.  I even downplayed it, well not downplayed but tried to assure him that everything is ok by going into what Cohen does do, since he doesn't talk.  It didn't work.  We now have two appointments for speech evaluations, one with early intervention and the other with an actual doctor.  

Now let me say that I'm not trying to make my child ok by not accepting the fact that something may be wrong.  Actually since the doctor's visit the Mr. and I have been knit picking everything little man does to decide if it's a sign of autism or not.  I don't think he is, I don't think the doctor thinks he is.  And I'm very much going through with the appointments, because if something is wrong I want to know and make the necessary changes.  Also he asked me to come back in in three months to check on Cobra's progress, so I kinda have to go through with the appointments.  But really I do want to make sure there isn't anything wrong.

So now here I sit waiting on 2:00 to roll around when the lady from early intervention will be here to tell me if we/he needs therapy or not.  And the bad thing is, since the appointment we've really been paying attention to his talking, you know to determine if he is autistic or not, and it seems he's actually talking more than we thought.  He is a quiet child, no doubt, he mumbles and talks very softly.  Don't get me wrong this kid can and does get loud.  

Apparently we just don't pay attention to him.  He actually uses a few more words that I thought, he just doesn't talk often, or when you want him to.  He's stubborn, and possible strong-willed, and at times I think he thinks we're beneath him, that he shouldn't possibly have to waste his time telling us what sound a cow makes sheessh.  He's also a been there done that kid.  He doesn't need to say tractor anymore, he said it three weeks ago for 9 days straight.

So in the end I don't really know if he's delayed, if there is anything wrong, or if there's absolutely nothing wrong.  It will be nice to have someone look at him and let us know what the they think.  So while I am nervous, slightly, I am happy with today's appointment/evaluation as well as the one still to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment